The Sacrament of Baptism
The Sacrament of Baptism for children is celebrated on the first and third Sundays of each month after the 11:30 A.M. Mass or, approximately, 12:45 P.M. Parents requesting Baptism for their child are required to participate in the Baptismal Preparation Program (Pre-Jordan) held on the third Thursday of each month at 7:30 P.M. in the rectory basement meeting room. Please contact the rectory at least two months prior to the time of Baptism to make proper arrangements.
Godparents/Sponsors: The role of a Baptismal sponsor (godparent) is primarily a spiritual role to help the newly baptized lead a Christian life. All sponsors (godparents) must meet the following requirements established by Catholic Church Canon Law:
- Must be 16 years of age or older.
- Must have been fully initiated into the Catholic Church, having received the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Eucharist.
- Must practice his/her Catholic faith by participating at Mass regularly on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation and in the sacramental life of the Church.
- If married, must be married according to the laws of the Catholic Church and be presently living in a valid marriage. Persons who are divorced but not remarried outside the Church are eligible as sponsors.
- Must not be living with someone outside of marriage.
- Must actively strive to live out his/her commitment to Christ through his/her prayer life and by trying to be faithful to the values and moral teachings of the Catholic faith.
- Must be willing to be an example of Christian living to the person he/she is sponsoring by the faith he/she professes in the Lord and His Church, and by support and service to his/her parish community.
- (for Baptism) If circumstances occur which prevent the parents of this child from raising their child in accordance with the teachings of the Catholic Church, the sponsor (godparent) will do everything in his/her power to ensure that the Catholic education and formation of the child is completed.
Note: A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic Church may be admitted as a Christian witness to Baptism together with a Catholic sponsor. The choice of godparents/sponsor should be made primarily on a spiritual basis. Christian Witness status does not apply to Catholics who have left the Church. A Certificate of Eligibility is required from the parish of those requesting to become godparents or sponsors, and proof of Baptism is required for Christian witnesses.